Website application supporting teaching science labs at post-secondary institutions
– SLO is a lab management system provided as a web service to host, share and deliver instructional science labs from a website. The website design parallels activities of running a first year science lab
– SLO provides a lab supporting interface for delivery of labs using a role based view. For instance, students might see the lab schedule, lab scripts and supporting web materials such as simulations and web references while an instructor has an administrative view.
- hosting options for lab scripts
– wiki technology for building simple, versatile labs
– document file support for most common formats
– link reference to labs hosted elsewhere
– browse-able web lab scripts
- data driven website
– secure business web coding with high performance SQL server database
– reliable, secure web sever
– simple rights management for sharing by creative commons or your own custom wording
– build lab sessions from your own base labs or from other shared resources
- web presence for instructional labs
– your course online branded as the institution or your own version
– build under a discipline: Phys, Chem, Bio
– build your own online lab manual
– use a secure online lab grade book
- repository of labs ready for instructional use or edit your own customized version
– define lab goals from common lists or your own
– categorize lab type as supervised classroom, unsupervised kit, remote control
– resource links to external web labs
- access control
– access to your course site is completely under your control. Set web pages to be freely accessed by your students or require a password or set individual student ID/passwords.
– allow or prevent public access.
– role based view for admin, instructor, student and public
– work, develop, observe with others involved with labs
– involve all your lab personnel; admin, tech, instruct, general interest
– portal to collaboration supporting discipline specific development (Phys, Chem, Bio)
– repository of links to other institution labs, web resources for labs, lab suppliers
– Use this site for as little as a web lab manual to a single experiment or for as much as a complete lab course management system. Your student lists, grades, courses, resources can all be managed through this secure site.